8/23/10

iPhone's battery

Did some basic search for the iPhone's battery. I wanted to know how many charges the iPhone can do until the battery is toast. 

How long until the battery needs replacement?
All batteries degrade with time and use. Apple says the battery is designed to provide 80% of its original capacity after 300 to 400 charge cycles. Its usable lifespan will depend on usage; heavy voice/internet users will require battery replacement sooner than occasional users. (See Apple Battery Info Page for additional information and the definition of a "cycle".)

Anecdotally, most original iPhones from 2007 seem to retain good battery performance two years later (summer of 2009).

via: http://www.macintouch.com/iphone/faq.html



How much does it cost?

Service arranged through Apple costs $89. A $10.77 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to local tax.   


it will take a week to get the battery replaced. Data on your phone will be wiped. 


So, what do I do to save on battery life? First, I have the screen at 30% brightness. Email is checked every hour, and I turn off all data on my phone when I go to sleep. 

Go to settings, general, network. Turn everything off there, including WiFi, cellular data, and 3G. I find that this saves me around 15% of battery charge on my iPhone4. 15% every night multiplied by a year is roughly 54 full charge cycles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment